Till startsida
Webbkarta
Till innehåll Läs mer om hur kakor används på gu.se

Händelser i avdelningen för kulturgeografis historia

1891 The University College of Göteborg is inaugurated; A political scientist, Dr. Rudolf Kjellén from Uppsala, starts to teach geography in his capacity as Reader in politics and geography.

1901 The merchant Aug. Röhss announces a significant financial donation to professorial chairs in Economics, Geography and Political science.

1903 Sven Lönborg, historic geographer from Uppsala University, holds the vacant position.

1905 Otto Nordenskjöld, geologist from Uppsala, and well-known leader of the Antarctic-expedition 1901-03, is appointed Aug. Röhss' professor of Geography and Ethnography.

1908 Inauguration of the Geographical Society of Göteborg.

1923 The Göteborg School of Economics and Business Administration is founded as a private independent academic institution. Professor Nordenskjöld is appointed to become the first Rector.

1925 The first thesis for doctoral degree in geography - Sven Norlindh: Sveriges vattenkraftsresurser (The hydropower resources of Sweden).

1929 Sten De Geer, geologist from Uppsala is appointed Nordenskjöld's successor.

1932 A separate Institute of Geography is created within the premises of the Maritime Museum.

1934-37 The vacant position (after Sten de Geer) is temporarily held by Ivar Högbom, Stockholm, Olof Jonasson, Stockholm and Erik Granlund, Stockholm.

1938 Fredrik Enqvist, geologist and glaciologist from Uppsala, is appointed to the chair in Geography at the University College.

1939 Olof Jonasson, Stockholm School of Economics is appointed a new position as professor in Economic Geography.

1941 The Institute of Geography is split up into two parts. A separate department of Economic Geography moves to Skeppsbron.

1951 Fredrik Enquist retires from the chair in Geography and is succeeded by Assoc.prof. Karl-Erik Bergsten, Lund University in 1952.

1954 Göteborg University College receives full university status after the merger with the Medical College.

1954 The Department of Geography moves to Dicksonsgatan 4.

1956 Prof Karl-Erik Bergsten accepts the chair in Physical geography at Lund University, and is succeeded by Sten Rudberg, geomorphologist from Uppsala University in 1958.

1959 Olof Jonasson retires and is succeeded by Sven Dahl, originally from Lund University, later at Stockholm School of Economics.

1960 The hitherto private School of Economics becomes a public state institution.

1961 The Government decides to inaugurate a chair in Human and Economic Geography at University of Gothenburg in the process to meet the increasing demands of specialization.

1962 This newly created chair in Human geography is offered to Sven Godlund, Stockholm University, originally from Lund University.

1963 Graduate education starts in Human geography.

1964 The Geography department is split into two separate sections of Physical and Human Geography respectively. Prof. Sten Rudberg decides to remain within the field of Physical geography.

1965 The section of Human geography is given the status of an independent department. Rapid expansion as a result of involvement in a number of national research projects, but also a great number of government investigation committees within the field of local and regional planning, infrastructure and public management.

1968 The first Ph.D at the new department of Human Geography is promoted (Olof Wärneryd, later to become professor at Lund University).

1969 The Department of Human Geography moves to Bangatan 39 in Western Göteborg.

1970 The first Ph.D in Human Geography within the new Swedish system of doctoral exams is promoted, Lennart Andersson, later Vice-chancellor of Karlstad University.

1971 The School of Business, Economics and Law is merged with Göteborg University. The two departments of Economic and Human geography respectively are consolidated into the Department of Human and Economic Geography at University of Gothenburg.

1972 The fusioned department moves to new joint premises at Viktoriagatan 30.

1978 Professor Sven Dahl is succeeded by Risto Laulajainen, Swedish School of Economics and Business Administration, Helsinki, Finland.

1986 Professor Sven Godlund is succeeded by Lars Nordström from University of Gothenburg.

1988 Åke Forsström is appointed professor in Human Geography. Professor Lars Nordström becomes Dean of School of Business, Economics and Law, University of Gothenburg.

1988 Kenneth Asp, Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute, is appointed adjunct professor in transport geography.

1994 A new professorial chair in International economic geography is established. Prof. Claes Göran Alvstam, Göteborg University is appointed.

1995 The Department moves to new modern premises in the common building of the School of Business, Economics and Law at Vasagatan 1 in central Göteborg.

2001 Assoc. prof. Bertil Vilhelmson is promoted to Professor in Human Geography.

2002 Professor Risto Laulajainen retires.

2005 Sten Lorentzon is promoted to Professor in Human Geography.

2011 Marie Stenseke is promoted to Professor in Human Geography.

2011 Inge Ivarsson is promoted to Professor in Economic Geography.

2012 Professor Lesley Head, School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Wollongong, is promoted Visiting Professor for the period 2012—2014

2012 The department forms a unit of Human Geography within the newly established Department of Economy and Society. Economic geography joins the Department of Business Administration.
 

Sidansvarig: Kajsa Folmeus Strandberg|Sidan uppdaterades: 2013-11-29
Dela:

På Göteborgs universitet använder vi kakor (cookies) för att webbplatsen ska fungera på ett bra sätt för dig. Genom att surfa vidare godkänner du att vi använder kakor.  Vad är kakor?